Tomcat out-of-the-box has absolutely zero X11 dependencies.  It must be
something in your webapp.

There are two ways to deal with this:
1)  If you are using a 1.4.x JVM, you could try running it as 'headless'.
2)  Install Xvfb, to provide a virtual X11 server.

"Greg Zoller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hello,
>
> I'm having a problem where I log into a server w/telnet, and run JBoss
> (w/embedded tomcat).
>
> The server fails in jasper with X11 auth problem.
>
> I have a workaround: use ssh -X to handle X.  If I use ssh -X instead of
> telnet, everything works fine.  But because I can't explain why there is
> any X11 dependency for our server-side app, my boss deems this fix a
> "hack", and requires me to find a "real solution".
>
> The error is:
>
> Can't connect to X11 window server ...
>
> Why is there any X11 dependency on a server-side app?  We have no
> servlets or anything like that.  We are using apache struts.
>
> Precisely:
>
> My login page comes up (a JSP page)
> This page forwards to my first app page, which causes the X11 error.
> Figuring maybe something on this page was too complex (graphical, or
> whatever), I replaced it with another JSP page containing "Hello world"
> and nothing else.  No dice... same X11 problem.
>
> I've tried building a new Linux server w/o any X11 installed on the box
> at all.  This time I get even stranger errors:
>
> 00:12:49,053 ERROR [Engine] ApplicationDispatcher[/codatest]
> Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
> org.apache.jasper.JasperException:
> /opt/java/jre/lib/i386/libfontmanager.so: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2:
>          at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:2
54)