> Bill Barker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> You don't have the path set correctly for jakarta-commons/fileupload, so
> it's not finding the jar.
>
> "Larry Griffith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Thanks, Bill.  This is certainly worth checking.  However,
putting the jar file explicitly into the CLASSPATH (not PATH) doesn't
help; the same errors persist.  The second error message indicates
that the org.apache.commons.fileupload package is clearly being used.

        With regard to the first error:

    [javac] /export/home/larry/projects/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24-src/catalina/src/
share/org/apache/catalina/servlets/HTML
ManagerServlet.java:205: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : method setRepositoryPath (java.lang.String)
    [javac] location: class org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUpload
    [javac]         upload.setRepositoryPath(tempdir.getCanonicalPath());
    [javac]               ^

the HTML documentation doesn't show the FileUpload class as
having or inheriting any method named setRepositoryPath or any obvious
variant thereof.

        With regard to the second error:

    [javac] /export/home/larry/projects/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24-src/catalina/src/
share/org/apache/catalina/servlets/HTML
ManagerServlet.java:262: write(java.io.File) in org.apache.commons.fileupload.F
ileItem cannot be applied to (java.lang
.String)
    [javac]                 warUpload.write(file.getCanonicalPath());
    [javac]                          ^

this looks like a gratuitous call to getCanonicalPath(); stripping it
out would leave you with the File object that javac is expecting.
Obviously I can patch this, but it really ought to be patched in the
original source.

                                                Larry

Larry Griffith                       Dept. of Computer & Info Science
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    Westfield State College
(413) 572-5294                       Westfield, MA 01086 USA
PGP public key available at: http://cs.wsc.ma.edu/dcis/griffith.html