Hi,

First, I apologize in advance, I am not positive I know what version of
tomcat I am using. I can tell you that I am using the jwsdp1.2 package
available at java.sun.com. (Sun explains on the site that jwsdp1.2 comes
with tomcat 5.0, but for some reason I didn't think that's what I was
using, but I suppose I am.)

I am having difficulty getting the load-on-startup values to properly
function across deployment contexts.
I have the following:

in webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/
        a web.xml file to deploy some simple servlet apps.
        the load-on-startup tags for the critical servlet in
        this file is set to 1.

in webapps/../tns/webapps/2.2.0/WEB-INF/
        a web.xml file for deployment of this servlet, the
        load-on-startup value in this file is set to 10

in webapps/../tns/webapps/2.2.5/WEB-INF/
        a web.xml file for deployment of this servlet, the
        load-on-startup value in this file is set to 15

The problem is that the load-on-startup values listed in each of these
files is ignored with respect to the others. For example, each of these
files loads in some apparently arbitrary order. However, if I specify
multiple deployment descriptors in

         webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml

the load-on-startup values are all honored.

Is it my imagination or is load-on-startup only relative to the
deployments in a specific web.xml file?

Following is part of the launcher log file that illustrates the deployment
order...

Jul 23, 2003 1:36:35 PM org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResources
<init>
INFO: Initializing, config='org.apache.webapp.admin.ApplicationResources',
returnNull=true
Initializing: tns 2.2.5-test
tns 2.2.5-test: initialization error, version_registry null.
Initializing: tns 2.2.5
tns 2.2.5: initialization error, version_registry null.
Jul 23, 2003 1:36:43 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer
install
INFO: Installing web application at context path /i_tns from URL
file:/usr/local/jwsdp1.2/webapps/i_tns
Jul 23, 2003 1:36:45 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer
install
INFO: Installing web application at context path  from URL
file:/usr/local/jwsdp1.2/webapps/ROOT
Jul 23, 2003 1:36:46 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer
install
INFO: Installing web application at context path /tns from URL
file:/usr/local/jwsdp1.2/webapps/tns
Jul 23, 2003 1:36:47 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8080
Jul 23, 2003 1:36:48 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start

The last three entries are where the mix up is really evident.
(just to be sure, I just went and edited them. the /ROOT entry's web.xml
is 1, the i_tns is 5, and the tns entry is set to 7).

It should be noted that they all appear to be deploying happily with the
exception of those functoinalities that depend on other web applications
to already be deployed, hence the need for the load-on-startup order.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich.