nsfs.war goes in webapps.

How about just creating the directory and seeing what happens?

In any case, if you're using WAR files, there's no reason to have a Context defined in server.xml, that's probably what is confusing Tomcat. Tomcat is reading server.xml, which tells it to start a Context called "nsfs" with a docBase of "nsfs" but no such docBase exists.

John

Rick Roberts wrote:

Does the nsfs.war file go into webapps directory or into webapps/nsfs directory?
Currently, the webapps/nsfs dir does not exist. There is only the nsfs.war file setting in the webapps directory. I am assuming that Tomcat will create the webapps/nsfs directory for me when it expands the war file.

I have temporarily set permissions to 777 on the webapps directory and it still does not expand, nor try to use, the war file.

Rick

John Turner wrote:

You've told Tomcat the docBase is "nsfs".

Tomcat thusly looks for a directory called "nsfs" in the Host's appBase.

If it finds it, and unpackWars is true, it will unpack your WAR file into that directory (webapps/nsfs, NOT webapps). Thus, Tomcat needs r+w on webapps/nsfs.

Does Tomcat have r+w on webapps/nsfs?

Alternatively, make unpackWars false.

John

Rick Roberts wrote:

My directory permissions are as follows:

drwxrwx--- 7 root tomcat4 4096 Jul 23 12:17 webapps

ps -ef shows me this, which is think is Tomcat, which is run by user tomcat4:

tomcat4 6199 1 0 12:17 pts/2 00:00:36 /usr/java/jdk1.4/bin/java -Djava.endorsed.dirs= -classpath /usr/java/jdk1.4/lib/tools.jar:/var

Thanks,

Rick

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Howdy,

2003-07-23 11:09:30 StandardContext[/nsfs]: Resources start failed:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
/var/tomcat4/webapps/nsfs does not exist or is not a
readable directory

Well explain it to me! :)

There is a "/var/tomcat4/webapps/nsfs.war" file.

There should not be a "/var/tomcat4/webapps/nsfs" directory.

If you have unpackWARS="true" tomcat will try to explode your war into
the directory specified as the docBase, which is nsfs under webapps. If
it can't create this directory or read/write into it, you get the above
error. Check file permissions on webapps.

Yoav Shapira