1. Generate a private key:
openssl genrsa -des3 -out privkey.pem 2048
(this should prompt you for a passphrase)http://www.openssl.org/docs/HOWTO/keys.txt

2. a) Generate a self-signed test certificate: openssl req -new -x509 -key privkey.pem -out cacert.pem -days 1095

2. b) If you want to use a Trust-Center signed SSL certificate,
you need to create a certificate signing request (CSR) and submit it to a Certificate Authority (CA):
openssl req -new -key privkey.pem -out cert.csr

http://www.openssl.org/docs/HOWTO/certificates.txt

Some Certificate Authorities: http://www.verisign.com/ http://www.thawte.com/ http://www.instantssl.com/