It shouldn't use high ports.
Are you running any database services or other services?
Are your dtd's not correct and its trying actually pull foriegn assets via http?
Are you trying to resolve hosts in your access log? (or similar)

Use your sniffer to see the type of request being performed on the hight port.

-Tim

Erin Dalzell wrote:
Hi there,

We have just discovered that our tomcat web app is not working correctly
behind a NAT. Our actual web app works fine, but when we try to access our
management pages via http. It doesn't work. Any static pages are served up
correctly through our defined tomcat port (6300), but any dynamic content
(to several different servlets) don't work.

When we run a sniffer, it looks like tomcat tries to communicate with itself
on a very high (and random) port. For example, if our tomcat is accessible
locally as 10.10.10.10 and externally as 204.1.1.1 and we access from
withing our network (10.10.x.x) everything works fine and tomcat is able to
talk to itself on port 45000. But if I access it from an external site,
tomcat tries to communicate with itself on the 204.1.1.1 address and the NAT
doesn't like it.

So, I have a few questions:
        1) why doesn't tomcat (we are using version 4) use localhost to
communicate with itself?
        2) anyone else seen this problem?
        3) can the high port be configured?

Thoughts?