Apache starts running as root, and binds to port 80 during initialization.
Then to server requests (at least on *nix systems, and the details my very
for Apache 2.0 depending on the MPM), it forks itself.  The child process
then changes it's identity to the non-privileged user.  However, since the
socket was already created, it can continue to use it.

There is jakarta-commons-sandbox/daemon
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/daemon/index.html)  which allows
you to do much the same thing for Tomcat.

"john-paul delaney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hello List...
>
> I'm just using the latest release 4.1.24 as my webserver (no apache) with
the intention of generating all (or nearly all) content from a back-end db.

> However I'm worried about starting the server and running as root -
security issues.  How does the apache server use it's own account to run a
service below port 1024?  And can I do similar for my tomcat setup?