We use a "free" app from Micorosft called Web
Application Stress Tool. It's quite nice, since it
runs as a service of a bunch of workstations and from
a console you can schedule a load test. It can also
record your navigation from IE and create a test
script.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/intranet/downloads/webstres.asp

Note: It's quite hard to setup if you want to fine
tune how many threads you want, and perf monitors are
useless if you are not running Tomcat in a NT/W2K box,
so you'll get only requests per second, speed, HTTP
error code listings and so on. You can install the
service in common PCs and use them when nobody is
working, but results are highly degraded as WAST is a
service running on background, specialy on NT
Workstation/W2K Professional. Time ago we had to
assign budget for old fashioned PCs dedicated to perf
test (not just Tomcat ;))

Ivan

(http://jaffa.sourceforge.net/documentation/tools/testing/)