Hello John and all,
I altered the workers2.properties using this:

[shm]
file=${serverRoot}/logs/shm.file
size=1048576

# socket channel
[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
port=8009
host=127.0.0.1

# define the worker
[ajp13:localhost:8009]
channel=channel.socket:localhost:8009

# Uri mapping
[uri:/examples/*]
worker=ajp13:localhost:8009

and I don't get anymore error in the error.log file.  But I still get a 404
error from tomcat when I use the following url: http://localhost/examples
Julien.