Hi,
i get the order  to  configure  a  new  webhost  with  apache  as  the
exclusive  connection.  Behind the apache should be in furher future a
tomcat farm on serveral servers. Therefor, i install (a) an blank ger-
man  linux-distribution (SuSE 8.2) with binaries for Apache 2.0.46 and
Tomcat 4.1.18; read (b) a lot of Documentation and change (c)  several
config-files.

The first goal, two running standalone  servers  with  one  donain,  i
reached  very  quickly. The second goal, standalone servers with named
virtual hosts(!), are a bit more complex, but reached too.

Now should hide tomcat behind the apache. I create the "workers2.prop-
erties" and the "jk2.properties", set JkUri Statements in apaches vir-
tual host  section,  change  tomcats  "server.xml"  to  use  an  other
connector  and so one. In worst case, it happens nothing. In best case
i get an lot of errors if i ask the apache for  an  "index.jsp".  This
implied  for  me,  that  the basic communication are existing, but the
speak "suaheli" and "esperanto" and don't understanding each other. It
was irrelevant what i do, as install the binaries of tomcat 4.1.24, or
tries other possibilities in the  config-files,  i  was  not  able  to
change  the  situation. In the best case (they talk together, or tries
at least) i get messages like following in apaches error log:

>..[error] msgAjp.receive(): Bad signature 00
>..[notice] BAD MESSAGE:  pos=4 len=4 max=8192
>..[notice] 0000    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>..[error] channelSocket.receive(): Bad header
>..[error] workerEnv.processCallbacks() Error reading reply
>..[error] ajp13.service() ajpGetReply recoverable error 120000

On tomcat side it look like:

.. PM org.apache.tomcat.util.log.CommonLogHandler log
SEVERE: Caught exception executing
[EMAIL PROTECTED], terminating thread
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket
              .processConnection              (ChannelSocket.java:597)
        at org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection
              .runIt                          (ChannelSocket.java:707)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads
              .ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run    (ThreadPool.java:530)
        at java.lang.Thread.run                      (Thread.java:536)

I think i have do all what i can. The next (and last)  step  are  take
the source-code and begin with debugging.

In the appendix i add more or less my config-files. I  build  an  hole
*.tar.bz2  with  the  complete  relevant  files (i think), but this is
with 38KB to big for the list. Therfor i add short snipplets from  the
right config-files.

Maybe had someone a running minimal configuration, or  know  where  is
one available.

Thanks for help.
Christian.

PS.:

The apache-error.log has for every apache-thread one line like follow:

>..[error] jk2_init() Can't find child 12957 in scoreboard

Over this i readed a little bit in the mailing list, but the change of
the  start-sequence  don't kill this messages. Had it an effect of the
hole system?

---- /etc/apache2/httpd.conf: ---------------------------------------

:
<IfModule mod_jk2.c>
  JkSet  config.file /etc/apache2/workers2.properties
</IfModule>
:
NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost    *>
  DocumentRoot  /opt/jakarta/tomcat/current/webapps/
  ServerName    botanix-vhost00.muthpartners.de
  ServerAlias   botanix-vhost00.muthpartners
  ServerAlias   botanix-vhost00
  ErrorLog      /var/log/apache2/vhost00-error.log
  CustomLog     /var/log/apache2/vhost00-access.log common

  JkSet  uri:botanix-vhost00/*.jsp.group  ajp13:localhost:9000

#  DirectoryIndex index.jsp

  <Directory    /opt/jakarta/tomcat/current/webapps>
    AllowOverride None
    Options     +Indexes +FollowSymLinks
    Order       deny,allow
    deny from   all
    allow from  localhost
    allow from  172.16.0
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
:

---- /etc/apache2/workers2.properties -------------------------------

:
[logger.apache2]
level=DEBUG

[status:status]
info=Status Worker
debug=10

[shm]
debug=10
file=/opt/jakarta/tomcat/current/work/jk2.shm
size=1048576

[channel.socket:localhost:9000]
port=9000
host=127.0.0.1

[ajp13:localhost:9000]
channel=channel.socket:localhost:9000
:

----/opt/jakarta/tomcat/node0/conf/server.xml -----------------------

<Server className="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer"
        debug="99" port="9099" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
 <Service debug="99" name="Service00">
             acceptCount="10" bufferSize="2048" connectionTimeout=
             "20000" debug="99" disableUploadTimeout="true"
             enableLookups="true" maxProcessors="15" minProcessors="5"
             port="9000" protocolHandlerClassName=
             "org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler" proxyPort="0"
             redirectPort="9043" scheme="http" secure="false"
             tcpNoDelay="true" useURIValidationHack="false"/>
  <Engine defaultHost="botanix-vhost00.muthpartners.de" debug="99"
          name="Engine00">
   <Host name="botanix-vhost00.muthpartners.de" appBase="webapps"
          debug="99" autoDeploy="true" deployXML="true"
          liveDeploy="false" unpackWARs="false">
    <Alias>botanix-vhost00.muthpartners</Alias>
    <Alias>botanix-vhost00</Alias>
    <Alias>localhost</Alias>
    <Alias>127.0.0.1</Alias>
    <!-- Sereveral XML-Files with Context -->
   </Host>
  </Engine>
 </Service>
</Server>