seth schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> River Tarnell wrote:
>>> 1. How do I run perl scripts on the toolserver?
>> i assume from the subject you're talking about Perl CGI scripts.  either put
>> them in ~/public_html/cgi-bin, or put them in ~/public_html and name them
>> with
>> a .cgi extension.  in either case they have to be executable.
>
> I guess .cgi in ~/public_html is not executable be default. my browser
> just showed me the source code.

Did you indeed set the x bit?

> After I created a .htaccess with
>    Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI MultiViews
>    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl
> it works now.
>
>>> Presently
>>> http://toolserver.org/~seth/cgi-bin/grep_regexp_from_url.cgi gives an
>>> internal server error 500.
>> in this case, the problem is your script has Windows line endings.
>>
>> $ ./grep_regexp_from_url.cgi
>> - -su: ./grep_regexp_from_url.cgi: /usr/bin/perl^M: bad interpreter: No such
>> file or directory
>
> Oops, I feet a bit sheepish about that. I did not know that
> $ perl grep_regexp_from_url.cgi
> works even when the line endings are dos-styled.

That'S because *perl* doesn't have a problem with them. It's whatever bit of
linux is looking at the "shebang" line (the one starting with #!) to find out
what interpreter to use. It reads the Windows line ending as part of the
interpreter's name (which is very very silly, but that's how it is).

>>> 3. How can I look at the apache errorlogs?
>> access and error logs are in /var/log/http
>
>    bash: cd: /var/log/http: No such file or directory

Try this on the web server (hemlock), not on nightshade.

> I tried another one, too, but
>    bash: cd: /var/log/apache2/: Permission denied

We no longer use apache, we are using ZWS now.

-- daniel