On 07/06/2011 4:49 AM, River Tarnell wrote:

> Why Linux and not FreeBSD, or Solaris, or OpenServer, or MP-RAS, or ...?
> I've asked this many times in the past (usually when someone says "I
> want Linux") and never had a real answer that I can remember.[0]

Availability of expertise.

Just here at Ubisoft, for instance, there are about 25 Linux sysadmins
(ranging from intermediate to guru-level).  Of all of us, there are only
five that have Solaris or *BSD experience, and only *two* who have both.

Whatever caused this originally, Linux ended up with a much bigger
mindshare than the BSD did.  You'll find more users and sysadmins with
CentOS or Ubuntu experience than all other unices combined once we old
farts start retiring.

-- Coren / Marc