Am 14.09.2012 14:57, schrieb Tim Landscheidt:
DaB. wrote:

In a ideal world that would be no problem, but in real world that CAN be a
problem. Why? Because many users have the same idea and our submit-hosts fail
than with

(CRON) CAN'T FORK (child_process): Not enough space.

Last night 41 tasks were successful started at midnight, an unknown number
failed.
Of course we could just hit the problem with buying new hardware, but most
time of the day these hosts do idle.

On solaris cron fixing this problem is easy because you can change the queue config using /etc/cron.d/queuedefs (see man queuedefs for more info).

There you could define e.g. "c.35j3n17w" which means that only 35 jobs are started in parallel and the rest is rescheduled after 17 seconds if there are free slots. The standard solaris config "c.100j2n60w" would be bad, because it starts more than 41 jobs and the rest is reschuduled after 60 seconds when all the next cron jobs are starting, too.

Does anybody know if vixie cron (=cronie on ts) supports sth. similar? That would solve the problem.

btw.: This bug only exists because many people on this mailinglist did not like the solaris crontab format and requested to install vixie cron as alternative cron some years ago.

Merlissimo