(anonymous) wrote:

>>  wasn't thinking about a paid job, but harvesting the vol-
>> unteer potential of the toolserver usership.

> AFAIK the WMF accepts only paid persons anymore.

> But if the users would like to help, they can it even now: Update the pages in
> the wiki, write a patch for cron, add rules to puppet and help to clean it up,
> help newbies in the IRC and JIRA, add nagios-rules, prepare the switch from
> jira away (or find its problem), help Merl with the SGE, help Danny with the
> dumps, help Kai with OSM – and there are many more things.

> I have no problems with more roots (heh, if there are enough, I can leave
> ;-)). But beside the formal problems (WMF and WMDE), there is also the problem
> that to incorporate a new roots needs a lot of my time – and if the new root
> becomes inactive short time later my time was wasted. River appointed a few
> users to roots over the time, but I'm the only one left and most of my
> "colleges" were never very active.

> So in a nutshell: If you like to help the TS: Do it. If you need a special
> right and I know you, ask me and I will see what I can do. If you need to
> become a root and are SURE to stay, fight with WMDE and WMF (and me) and if
> you
> are successful I will show you how deep the rabbit hole goes ;-).

I don't think that works.  For example, if you want to fix
the issues with JIRA (which are probably just some miscon-
figuration), you need to have access to JIRA, and the mail
logs, and the webserver, and the database, and whatnot.  To
do this, you effectively have to be root.

I also don't think that a lot of familiarization for new
roots is necessary.  After all, the servers don't run on
magic, but on software, and if you are able to find your way
around JIRA, or OSM, or something else that needs attention,
you are *very* probably skilled enough to read and under-
stand configuration files and code.

And finally I think that we shouldn't artificially heighten
the entry barriers for people trying to help.  Someone of-
fering their knowledge and time to help with toolserver ad-
ministration shouldn't have to promise a long term commit-
ment, and they certainly shouldn't have to "fight" so that
the recipient will accept their gifts.  On Labs, which is
scheduled to have replicated databases by the end of the
month, there is no such barrier, and it may become increas-
ingly difficult to convince volunteers to invest any time in
the toolserver.

Tim