On Fri, 24 May 2013 00:42:22 +0200
Platonides <platoni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Today^W Yesterday, I was asked about some file numbers, which involved
> subcategory traversing, which is an "inefficient" problem. It seemed a
> good problem for comparing toolserver and labs. And toolserver db sucks:
>
> willow: 31m5.157s (user 0m4.038s)
> labs: 0m4.271s (user 2.488)
>
> Toolserver was *436 times slower*.
>
> Surely, the labs server is better (in hardware) than the one in TS. I
> don't know how many scripts were hitting the TS db, while the labs one
> would be almost-idle. Still, it seems a really big gap. Do we have
> something wrongly configured? Did mariadb somehow massively improve vs
> mysql? Are some parameters too small? Is it just a problem that the
> mysql servers are underprovisioned of ram?

Almost nobody is using the replicated Labs DB yet so it's not really a
surprise. Wait half a year or so then try again. I expect the
Labs DB to be faster still because of better hardware, but probably not
*that* much faster.

BTW: If you're doing recursive traversal of categories, you may be
interested in CatGraph: http://tools.wmflabs.org/render-tests/catgraph/
Ask me if you want to know more about it. This address or
JohannesK_WMDE on freenode. :)