On 19/06/13 00:12, Derrick Coetzee wrote:
Hi all, I noticed today I had several large core dumps in my home
directory, and two buried under my public_html directory. The
directories I found them in contained no executables and as far as I
know were not working directories for executables (just PHP scripts used
by the web server), so I can't imagine how they got there.

-rw------- 1 dcoetzee users 191463424 May  5 06:56 core

-rw------- 1 dcoetzee users 38797312 Sep 29  2012 core

This exceeded my hard quota without my knowledge. Any idea what's up
with this? Can I prevent it from reoccurring? Thanks.

--
Derrick Coetzee
User:Dcoetzee

The php fastcgi script crashed and left a useless core.

This has happened for a long time, see https://jira.toolserver.org/browse/TS-1505 but it had (apparently) been fixed, so perhaps it got reintroduced when the web servers were reconfigured?