Hello Ryan,
Am 30.08.2013 01:57, schrieb Ryan Lane:
> My feeling is that everything supported financially by the movement that
> is necessary for it to operate (which includes tools and bots that users
> depend on) should be open source so that it can be forked, just like the
> content and the infrastructure.

You and Eric might get paid by the movement, but I and most tool-authors
are not. We are not "supported financially", we do it for free. Now to
say "But we provide free infrastructure so you can run your stuff" is to
look from the wrong side. WE offer tools that just need a place to run,
the valuable part is done by US. There were Tools for Wikipedia before
there was a Toolserver (even before there was a WMDE or WMF), the
Toolserver was just a offer of help.
That’s one of the differences between the TS and Labs: You demand things
and build obstacles, while we offer something.

Sincerely,
DaB.