Hello,

do you have any more details of which tile layers are getting hit? Is it
low or high zoom tiles? What referes / user-agents do they come from? Is
it the tiles that get served through mod_tile, the hillshading tiles or
the tiles for the wiki mini atlas?

Too high load from individual clients has been an issue on many other
tileservers as well. Mostly it comes from various mobile apps, that
offer their users to download large areas (e.g. Germany) for offline
use. These areas then cover potentially millions of tiles, that the
clients then try and download as fast as the connection allows.

For that reason, the tileservers on osm.org have a significant list of
user-agents that they block completely and in addition they also have an
automatic rate limiting per IP. There is also a specific tile usage
policy ( https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy ) that
gouverns how you are allowed to technically access the tile servers
(once you have it downloaded, the use is freely gouverned by the
CC-BY-SA licence)

Other tileservers like the opencyclemap, equally have restrictions and
mod_tile (the apache module used to deliver tiles) has a number of
features available to limit traffic. mod_tile also has a complex system
to try and ensure maximum cachability of tiles while still ensuring
up-to-dateness. This system can furthermore be tuned either towards
fresshness or cacheability as needed.

My impression was so far this has never been an issue with the
toolserver and I wasn't aware of any explicit policies of how the
toolserver tiles are allowed to be accessed, so I never activated any of
the limiting features. But if it is becoming an issue we can see how
best to compat the issue.

At least on the munin graphs for ptolemy, I don't see much increased
load. But if it is the hillshading tiles, or the WMA tiles, those don't
get served through ptolemy as far as I am aware.

Kai