Hello folks,

as announced at 16. November I retired as root today.

Normally you write in such mails that you are sad now and that you had a
great time while it lasted. But I’m glad that it is over.

Don’t get me wrong: There were times when the work was great and most
times the work was even fun. But there were also several times
(especially in the last 2 years) when the Toolserver was horror. WMDE
didn’t invest enough money, WMF found new problems with the TS, hardware
was broken or the users (both authors and tool-users) were ignorant or
impatient.
If I had knew in autumn 2011 how the Toolserver would developing in the
coming years, I had not overtake as main root. I learned the hard way,
that it doesn’t matter how much work and time you invest if the
leadership (WMDE and WMF) work against you; and the members of WMDE and
the Wikipedians (at least in deWP) were no great help either.

I learned many things (in technical and political sense), met nice
persons and helped to give the Wikimedia-universe some great tools,
that’s the positive side I take with me now. I’m sure that I will miss
the Toolserver and its users from time to time.

Those of you who switch to Labs I wish good luck. All of you (if retired
already or not) I like to thank for the good times and I wish you the
best for your future :-). I’m sure that I will meet some of you in the
coming years again.

Sincerely,
DaB.