Jack; Not sure what process you were using to load.  If there is a specific message associated with "TBCME said this was ill advised", then we may be able to provide more specific advice.

If the file contents can fit into memory, then use the procedure found in the FAQ ("How do I open a RDF/OWL file in Composer?" at http://www.topquadrant.com/knowledge-assets/faq/tbc/) to copy the file into the workspace and open it.  Usually 500k triples can be loaded into 2Gb of memory without problems.

The recommended approach for larger models would be the following:
  1. Create a Project (File > New > Project, General/Project, click Next and provide a name
  2. move the text serialization file (.ttl. .nt, .rdf) into the project via copy/past or drag/drop from your file system.  This is your FMA model
  3. Right-click on the new project and choose New > RDF/OWL Jena TDB Database *Jena SDB could be used also if you have a relational back-end).
  4. With the file created in step 3 open in Composer, right-click on the text serialization file (FMA model) and choose Import > TopBraid Composer > Import Triples form this File into current Model

This will transfer the text serialization file into the RDF back-end where it can be queried, etc.  Note the only real difference between this and opening a text serialization file is that the triples are loaded on-demand.  By contrast, the text serialization is always brought into memory.

-- Scott