Dear users,

There has recently been renewed interest in making SPIN a W3C standard recommendation, and we would like to gather community feedback that could shape such a W3C working group. We would also like to encourage members of the SPIN user community to participate in the future working group.

_Summary of the work to date and the current status:_

As some of you may know, TQ had submitted SPIN as a Member Submission [1] in 2011. Meanwhile we made further useability improvements to SPIN within TopBraid and made the open source SPIN API [2] available without strings attached so that it can be more widely used.

Recently, the W3C began a process of forming a new working group on "RDF Shapes" [3]. The charter of this working group is to define a language to represent constraints that describe the structure of RDF graphs. We agree that this is an important topic, especially given that the current OWL standard cannot be used for that purpose due to the open world assumption. But we disagree and have concerns (shared by others) with the draft mission statement which proposes to use a completely new language called ShEx as its starting point.

For the last 6 to 12 months ShEx has been an R&D project. It has no vendor support, no customers and no users. It introduces new semantics and a new syntax. SPIN, on the other hand, has already been in practical use for many years, is supported by professional tools, has significant real life production implementations, aligns better with SPARQL and covers more use cases than the competing proposals. Furthermore, we strongly believe that adding yet another new language to the Semantic Web stack will make adoption more difficult and create confusion. As SPIN is based on SPARQL, it would be a more natural way of evolving and building on the existing stack of standards.

As the proposed draft of the working group missions statement began to circulate more widely this month in the Semantic Web community, a lively discussion has started with a strong support for SPIN as the basis for the new standard and push back against introducing completely new language. With this, the mission statement for the working group is now being revised.

_Request:_

We would like to hear from this community who would be interested in helping TopQuadrant make SPIN an official W3C standard recommendation. W3C working groups are driven by the participating organizations, so the more people we can get behind SPIN, the more likely will be an outcome that meets our collective needs. This is also an opportunity to shape the future direction of SPIN (and make some clean-up), and of course a chance to contribute to an official standard, which always looks good on a resume ;)

If you are interested, please either contact me directly or continue this thread here.

Regards
Holger (on behalf of TQ)

[1] http://www.w3.org/Submission/spin-overview/
[2] http://topbraid.org/spin/api/
[3] http://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/charter

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/topbraid-users?hl=en
--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TopBraid Suite Users" group.