Charlie; A couple of thinks here.  First, the kind of inference you are looking for is possible using the OWL 2 RL profile.  The one extra step is to choose 'Inference... Configure Inferencing' and check the "Complete mode" box.  If you don't do that, then Composer will take it that the subclass inferences are implied and not find the disjoint problem.

Use the Problems View (Window > Show View > Problems) to see the inconsistencies.  If you also turn on "Display constraint violation warnings" (yellow warning triangle in Composer's top icon bar), and navigate to an inconsistent resource, the yellow warning will appear in the form.  You can click on that to get an explanation of the constraint violation.

The second issue is that the passage in the Help file you cite is not correct.  The OWLIM reasoner is not an OWL DL reasoner and will not create subclasses of owl:Nothing.  We will correct this before the next release of TopBraid.

-- Scott