> On Mar 11, 2020, at 2:35 PM, 'Bohms, H.M. (Michel)' via TopBraid Suite Users
> <topbraid-users@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> Holger’s solution assumes that your starting point is OWL - you have OWL
> axioms and are trying to detect contradictions to it using SHACL.
>
> My solution does not assume this.
>
> > yes, I see. Guess holger’s approach applied to explicit rdfs classes will
> > be similar to your solution, right?

Holger’s solution requires that there is a statement like this:

> example:AllDisjoint1
>   rdf:type owl:AllDisjointClasses ;
>   rdfs:label "All disjoint 1" ;
>   owl:members (
>       schema:Person
>       schema:Product
>       schema:Event
>     ) .

I don’t think it matters to this example whether schema:Person is rdfs:Class or
owl:Class. I do not believe Holger's SPARQL query uses the fact that something
is of type owl:Class. Even if it did, it could be changed accordingly.

Further, instead of using owl:AllDisjoint and owl:members, it could also be

> example:AllDisjoint1
>   rdf:type my:AllDisjointClasses ;
>   rdfs:label "All disjoint 1" ;
>   my:members (
>       schema:Person
>       schema:Product
>       schema:Event
>     ) .
>

> I have to go back to the question as to why make this constraint at all? This
> style of modeling is specific to OWL (for reasons related to how tableau
> reasoners operate) and is absent from any other modeling language I could
> think of e.g., XML Schema, JSON Schema, UML, EntityRelationships, etc.
>
> One reason this is uncommon outside of OWL is because if you have different
> objects, their characteristics (properties and property values) will be
> different. And any possible issue are likely to be caught as a result of it -
> through other property shapes. For example, if you say that people must have
> father and a mother and organizations must have ‘year established’ and you
> have a resource that is both a person and an organization, you will get a
> violation one way or another. Another reason is that these kind of errors in
> data are pretty unusual. Data will come from some sources that typically have
> different data structures and identity for the different type of objects.
>
> What are you trying to accomplish? It may be that in your data, you want each
> resource to have only one rdf:type statement. You can do it with sh:maxCount
> on rdf:type. You may want to say that if a resource is a member of class X
> transitively, it can’t be a member of any class that is not a subclass of X.
> This would allow multiple types, but all resolving to the same parent class.
>
> > in our (use) case we exchange data according to ontologies (often called
> > object type libraries in nl) that share a common top level taxonomy (smls).
> > in the exchange we want to check the disjointness for classes in the top
> > level or subclasses (say: the ‘archetypes’)
> > still there can be multiple typing in the OTL (under the same smls
> > archetype)
> > maxCount=1 is therefore “too restrictive”

I do not have enough info on what your model looks like - what are the instance
and what are the classes and how they are used. One idea could be to consider
giving your classes different types e.g., smls:PhysicalObject a
smls:PhysicalObjectClass.

We use this in EDG models where each EDG class is an instance of
edg:AssetClass. But this is going beyond what I would have time to discuss.