After some fiddling I can return data from a content tag set

with a query like this

{
  clauseSections(where: {rdfs_label: {pattern: "def"}
  } ) {
    rdfs_label
    topic {
      label
    }
    uri
  }
}

This successfully returns details from the linked topic.

But I cant get a query to work the restricts the subjects by properties of
the topics. I cant find examples of syntax for:

1) filtering main object on properties of nested objects
2) filtering if a value is present ( _is_null)
3) combining (AND and OR) filters

Also, I created property shapes for the subject root class and tagging
property in order to make this work to retrieve details of , but perhaps
there is some way of making this happen (I created and ran SHACL rules to
enforce this.. so its repeatable - but have I duplicated something?)