So yeah this guy had the same problem as me apparently
https://www.reddit.com/r/osx/comments/9mf4au/installing_apps_from_unidentifiedunsigned/
and a fix was posted that worked for me:
cp -RX /path/to/program.app /different/path.app
Could be helpful for future reference!
Thanks for all the help, cheers