To slightly expand on this: Instead of doing XSD to OWL and then importing XML
into the resulting proxy-ontology, you may want to consider directly going from
XML (instance) files to the target ontology. The “problem” that I see with XSD
to OWL (or SHACL) is that the resulting ontology is probably not really the
format that you want to use on the long term. XML documents are rather
tree-based and XSD reflects this. If you would design an ontology from the
ground up, it would probably be rather graph-shaped and less about document
syntax than about domain objects and their relationships. Therefore, one
approach is to design the SHACL ontology of your choice with EDG and then write
an ADS import script that directly operates the XML files using the API
described in

https://www.topquadrant.com/doc/7.1/scripting/importing.html#importing-xml
<https://www.topquadrant.com/doc/7.1/scripting/importing.html#importing-xml>

If it helps, you could annotate the classes in your ontology with XPath
expressions or similar instructions that define how they are imported from the
XML instance documents. Such annotations could be used by an ADS-based importer
at run-time.

Holger