Hello all,

I am looking for two post-docs to join two projects in the theme of Meta-data
Privacy Systems and Networks. The post-docs are homed in the School of
Informatics, University of Edinburgh where, under my supervision, we will
investigate meta-data and data privacy techniques as building blocks/primitives
to realize an “engineered privacy layer” that can be embedded into the Internet
and communications networks in general.

The post-docs will be a part of---and have the opportunity to interact and
potentially collaborate with---the Cybersecurity, Privacy, and Trust group with
over 15 core faculty members and 40+ Post-docs, PhD students, and affiliated
faculty spanning a broad range of theoretical and applied topics in security,
privacy, and trust. For more about the group please see: edin.ac/3mIDdqN.

If you would like to have a casual chat to find out more before applying or
have any questions please get in touch with me (t.el...@ed.ac.uk).
To learn more about my research interests please see: edin.ac/2KUmT93.

Early applications will be considered as they arrive. The deadline for both
positions is 15/1/2021 17:00 GMT.

Some brief information about the two projects with links to further details
follow:

1) "Integrating Meta-data Privacy into Networked Applications through ‘Add-On’
Anonymous Communication Networks"
The aim of this project is to investigate how effectively and efficiently
anonymous communication networks (ACN) primitives (at the network and
applications layers) can act as “add-ons” between applications that do not have
privacy built-in by design (non-PbD apps) and the Internet at large.
This project will rigorously develop and extend on the current folk wisdom that
to add anonymity or privacy properties to a non-PbD system, the addition of
sending all traffic through an ACN is sufficient. It will provide a nuanced and
technical approach to integrating anonymous networks, and the primitives they
are built on, to systems that are not originally privacy-aware. The approach
will be to investigate and extend privacy primitives that enable routing, path
selection, and traffic shaping and compose the result into an “engineered
privacy-layer”.

Duration: 18 Months
Start: March 1st, 2021 (flexible)
More Information: edin.ac/3rnDdAb (apply by 15/1/2021)

2) "Well-behaved Anonymous Communication Networks"
Mass surveillance of email and web browsing traffic is a critical and growing
threat to individual and at-risk groups' online security and privacy. In
response, Anonymous Communication Networks (ACNs) like Tor and Mix networks
secure communications on the Internet against even the most sophisticated and
powerful adversaries.

However, it is a challenge to optimally tune ACNs by the security non-expert
system administrator in real world settings. Misconfiguration may lead to
catastrophic failures of privacy and performance degradation that will erode
trust in ACNs and hamper their adoption.

This project will investigate novel approaches combining engineering principles
and PETS techniques to designing, tuning, and operating ACNs at scale. The
resulting systems and techniques will contribute towards our “engineered
privacy-layer” vision.

Duration 24 Months
Start: March 1st (flexible)
More Information: edin.ac/34AKDpZ (apply by 15/1/2021)

Stay safe and be healthy,

Tariq Elahi
Assistant Professor
School of Informatics
University of Edinburgh
UK
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with
registration number SC005336.