Relevant?

"Often referred to as copyright trolling, speculative invoicing involves
sending hundreds or thousands of demand letters alleging copyright infringement
and seeking thousands of dollars in compensation. Those cases rarely — if ever
— go to court as the intent is simply to scare enough people into settling in
order to generate a profit."

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/03/12/1449244/canadian-file-sharing-plaintiff-admits-to-copyright-trolling