Hi,

> On 26 Feb 2016, at 05:15, torser...@datakanja.de wrote:
>
>  * Next, i noticed a frequent (daily) behavior of the Tor server
>    dropping traffic to around zero. Inspecting this, let me to
>    understand, my provider was disconnecting me and reassigning a new
>    IP on a daily basis, which took some time to propagate. Even worse:
>    It did not propagate on its own, i needed to restart the tor service
>    to reinitialise…

It should take tor about an hour to realise your address has changed, and
another hour for it to propagate to the rest of the network.

>  * Asking in the online channel, i was guided to change my "Nickname"
>    torrc config to match the dyndns entry corresponding to my server.

I hope you mean "Address" here. The "Nickname" is what your relay is called,
the "Address" is where it is.

>  * But this never made it to the directories, thus forcing me to
>    manually restart Tor on a daily basis in order to force the changing
>    IP address into them.

This could be an issue with your relay's DNS, or some of the other settings.
Did you wait an hour or two?

>  * Finally, i was told, this behavior would be disruptive to the
>    network, i therefore brought the service down for good, wasting the
>    bandwith, i was willing to spend, for the near future. :-)

That's a shame, tor will use relays that are only up for short periods of time
for the middle of a circuit, and for rendezvous points for short-lived hidden
service circuits. So it's not disruptive or useless. (It might slow down a few
clients who try your relay for the few hours each day it takes to find its new
IP address.)

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F