Hi,

(This thread has a lot of top-posting, so I cut the context.)

> On 23 Jun 2018, at 06:54, Matthew Glennon <matthew@glennon.online> wrote:
>
> No - and I don't think a standard port should be chosen. Tor comes with
> defaults and that's probably good enough. Keep them if you want, or customize
> them to fit your situation - the consensus has no problem adjusting to your
> customer port numbers. On the contrary, allowing a bad actor to know (for
> sure) what port a Bridge is using is bad news for the security of the network
> as a whole. It's a much better idea to let the Bridge Operator adjust the
> port number to their situation since they have to advertise the port to their
> subscribers externally anyway. For Guards, it doesn't really matter since the
> IP/Port pair is listed in the consensus.

Last time I checked:
About 40% of relays were on 9001/9030 (the defaults)
About 40% of relays were on 80/443 (the HTTP ports)
The rest were on other ports

> Using 443/80 really doesn't matter if you intend to run a Middle - since tor
> <-> tor shouldn't be a problem.
> There's no real downside to using 443/80 on a Guard; you may very well be
> available to more clients as a result of using it.

Using 80/443 on a guard makes some middleboxes think they can modify your
traffic.
Instead, the modification breaks Tor's security guarantees, so Tor clients can't
connect.

Having a range of ports for guards is good for the network and good for clients.
The same arguments apply to bridges.