Hi,

> On 10 Jul 2018, at 09:21, Keifer Bly <keifer....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So for a while I have been struggling to find a way to automatically update
> the tor relay software on macOS High Sierra. What I am currently doing is
> running a batch file that runs the command “brew upgrade tor” continuously.
> However, I am attempting to find a way to do this automatically on macos High
> Sierra where the process doesn’t have to be running  every second.

We do stable Tor releases at most every few weeks, so once a day should be fine.

> Here’s the unfortunate thing, on the newest macos operating systems, it
> appears there is no possible way to run terminal commands automatically, as
> crontab has been disabled / removed from newer mac operating systems (I
> discussed this with Apple technical support) and applications to run scripts
> automatically are incompatible with newer macos.

On macOS High Sierra, cron is deprecated, but not disabled:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecation

So I’m not surprised that Apple technical support told you not to use it.

> Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, thank you.

You might find this stack overflow answer helpful:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32781884/is-crontab-broken-on-osx-el-capitan

Here’s how I executed a command via cron on macOS High Sierra:
($ means: In a non-root user terminal, run the command after the $)

$ crontab -e
Type:
* * * * *  /usr/bin/osascript -e 'tell app "Finder" to display dialog "I am
cron"'
Exit your editor.
Wait a minute, then check the Finder for a dialog.

Next time you have a general sysadmin question, try searching online for the
answer.