> On 1 Aug 2018, at 04:09, Michael Brodhead <mkb_...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> Those of you running relays on low-RAM hosts, what do you do about DirCache?
>
> When I first brought up my relay I noticed this message in the logs:
>
> [warn] Being a directory cache (default) with less than DIRCACHE_MIN_MEM_MB
> MB of memory is not recommended and may consume most of the available
> resources, consider disabling this functionality by setting the DirCache
> option to 0.

That’s not a very helpful message, because it doesn’t say how many MB.
We fixed it in 0.3.4 in https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/20887

> When I DirCache to 0 I see another warning:
>
> [warn] DirCache is disabled and we are configured as a relay. This may
> disqualify us from becoming a guard in the future.

We want to update this warning, too:

> As it turns out I can increase my VMs memory for free so that’s no big deal.
> Still, I’m curious. What do people do with relays without much memory? Skip
> DirCache?

Turning off DirCache is fine, but it means your relay will only be a middle (or
exit) relay.

> Are there ways to reduce the memory footprint and still cache directory info?

Run Tor 0.2.9, without the new directory cache diff and compression features.