Hi Rob,

> On 8 Aug 2019, at 22:15, Rob Jansen <rob.g.jan...@nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 6, 2019, at 5:48 PM, Roger Dingledine <a...@torproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 05:31:39PM -0400, Rob Jansen wrote:
>>> Today, I started running the speedtest on all relays in the network. So
>>> far, I have finished about 100 relays (and counting). I expect that the
>>> advertised bandwidths reported by metrics will increase over the next few
>>> days. For this to happen, the bandwidth histories observed by a relay
>>> during my speedtest are first committed to the bandwidth history table
>>> (within 24 hours), and then reported in the server descriptors (within
>>> 18-36 hours, depending on when the bandwidth history commit happens).
>>
>> Great.
>>
>> There will be another confusing (confounding) factor, which is that the
>> weights in the consensus are chosen by the bandwidth authorities, so
>> even if the relay's self-reported bandwidth goes up (because it now sees
>> that it can handle more traffic), that doesn't mean that the consensus
>> weight will necessarily go up. In theory it ought to, but with a day or
>> so delay, as the bwauths catch on to the larger value in the descriptor;
>> but in practice, I am not willing to make bets on whether it will behave
>> as intended. :) So, call it another thing to keep an eye out for during
>> the experiment.
>
> Another wrinkle to keep in mind is that my script measures one relay at a
> time. If there are multiple relays running on the same NIC, after my
> measurement each of them will think they have the full capacity of the NIC.
> So if we just add up all of the advertised bandwidths after my measurement
> without considering that some of them share a NIC, that will result in an
> over-estimate of the available capacity of the network.
>
> To avoid over-estimating network capacity, we could use IP-based heuristics
> to guess which relays share a machine (e.g., if they share an IP address, or
> have a nearby IP address). In the long term, it would be nice if Tor would
> collect and report some sort of machine ID the same way it reports the
> platform.

More precisely, we're trying to answer the question:
"Which small sets of machines are limited by a common network link or shared
CPU?"

A machine ID is an incomplete answer to this question: it doesn't deal with
VMs, or
multiple machines that share a router.

Here are some other potential heuristics:
* clock skew / precise time: machine/VM?
* nearby IP addresses and common ASN: machine?/VM?/router?
* platform: machine
* tor version: operator? (a proxy for machine/VM/router)

Is there a cross-platform API for machine IDs?
Or similar APIs for our most common relay platforms? (Linux, BSDs, Windows)