David,
> I'd like to see more of your HAProxy configuration. Do you not have to use
>transparent proxy mode with Snowflake instances as you do with Tor Relay
>instances? I hadn't realized HAProxy had a client timeout. Thank you for that
>tidbit. And thank you for referencing my comments as well.
I found your HAProxy configuration in your "Draft installation guide." It seems
you're using regular TCP streaming mode with the Snowflake instances vs
transparent TCP streaming mode, which is a notable difference with the directly
loadbalanced Tor Relay configuration. I also noticed you've configured the
backend node timeout globally vs per node, which is just a nuance. You might
test using a timeout value of 0s (to disable the timeout at the loadbalancer)
and allow the Snowflake instances to preform state checking to ensure HAProxy
isn't throttling your bridge. I've tested both and I'm still not sure which
timeout configuration makes most sense for this style implementation.
Currently, I'm running with the 0s (disabled) timeout.
Any reason why you chose HAProxy over Nginx?
I did notice that you're using the AssumeReachable 1 directive in your torrc
files. Are you running into an issue where your Tor instances are failing the
reachability test? Initially, I ran into a reachability issue and after digging
through mountains of Tor debug logs discovered I needed to use transparent TCP
streaming mode along with the Linux kernel and iptables changes to route the
Tor traffic back from the Tor Relay Nodes to the loadbalancer. You shouldn't
need to run your Tor instances with the AssumeReachable 1 directive. This might
suggest something in your configuration isn't quite right.
One of my initial tests was staggering the startup of my instances to see how
they randomly reported to the DirectoryAuthorities. It's how I discovered that
Tor instances pushed instead polled meta-data (different uptimes). The later
would work better in a loadbalanced style deployment.
Do your Snowflake instances not have issues reporting to different
DirectoryAuthorities? My Tor instances have issues if I don't have them all
report to the same DirectoryAuthority.
Keep up the excellent work.
Respectfully,

Gary—
This Message Originated by the Sun.
iBigBlue 63W Solar Array (~12 Hour Charge)
+ 2 x Charmast 26800mAh Power Banks
= iPhone XS Max 512GB (~2 Weeks Charged)