> This has probably been addressed before but why isn't the MyFamily value just
> a single, unique ID?

There is a proposal to have some way of doing that in the future, but
that proposal isn't implemented
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/blob/main/proposals/321-happy-families.md
. It's not as easy as having a unique ID, you need to make sure a
relay can't spoof being part of a family, that's why it requires a two
way relationship for now, and will probably use some form of signature
in the future.

> What do you do when you have 50 relays and want to add or remove a relay? You
> must modify 50 torrc files and restart all 50 relays? That seems tedious and
> unnecessary.

Sadly, yes it is. You can reload the relays instead of restarting
them, which is somewhat better but still not great. On thing that can
help is using the %include feature of torrc to have your MyFamily line
in a distinct file you can easily copy around. That's not great, but
still easier/safer than editing a configuration file automatically.

regards,

trinity-1686a