Usually lower MTUs are not a problem for properly configured networks, as even
lower MTU systems should begin fragmenting traffic. The issue comes where there
is a mismatch, and suddenly, larger than expected packets are dropped.

So I think the tor protocol does not need to support identifying relay MTUs,
but I'm also unsure if it tests the largest cell size against relays either.
Testing a very large cell size should identify if a relay is properly
configured.