Never mind, the instructions are more or less right. Had issues because of
the errors the non depreciated versions of the commands throw, plus configs
in the wrong place. I would still love to know where the default torrc
should be for a Windows service if you don't specify it.

To make Vidalia work again in Window after making Tor a service
1. CD into c:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\Tor and run:

tor --hash-password somepassword
Note:This is the hash you will use.
2: Add this to the torrc you will locate in C:\

ControlPort 9051

HashedControlPassword
16:B0AB72FC4E3A30D560A3524C79E7F26CF350A8504E73210426CCBE2373
3. If the service is already installed, run:

tor -remove
4. Not run this to set up your config:

tor -install -options -f C:\torrc ControlPort 9051
5. Now when you start, Vidalia will ask for the password to connect.

Adrian