Bobby Brewster:
> What are the benefits of running TBB in a VM?
>
> AIUI, there are two advantages.
>
> 1.    If malware infects the VM, then just the VM is compromised. If your
> Windows/Mac/Linux system is infected, then your entire system is affected
> (yes, I realise that it should be only the user account for Linux unless you
> are root).
>
> 2.    If your system is comprimised, your real IP cannot be discerned.  For
> example, in my non-VM Ubuntu machine, my wlan0 IP is listed as 192.168.1.50.
> However, on my NAT'd VirtualBox Ubuntu, there is no wlan0, only eth1. This
> gives an IP of 10.0.2.15 which is obviously not the IP assigned by my ISP.
>
> Does this make sense?  Are there other benefits?  Any disadvantages?  Thanks.

point 1 makes sense. it's not bullet proof. but, unless you are dealing
with malware that is designed to break out of the restrictions imposed
by a vm, you have spared yourself a headache. you can further mitigate
against such common malware risks by using a system of snapshots. while
not as ideal as a "live" configuration, after you set up your virtual
machine for use, you can make a snapshot of it and, after each completed
session, restore your vm from the snapshot. unless you received malware
designed to exploit a vm, this will result in the malware being gone the
next time you use the vm as well.

point 2 does not work.  any malware that phones home will show your ip
address in that configuration.  however, if you use something like
whonix, where you have a gateway vm that pushes all of your workstation
vm traffic through tor, you have another layer of protection against
malware with phone home capabilities.

--
gpg key - 0x2A49578A7291BB34
fingerprint - 63C4 E106 AC6A 5F2F DDB2 3840 2A49 578A 7291 BB34