On 01/24/2018 06:20 AM, Wanderingnet wrote:

You rather highjacked the thread, but hey ;)

> I'm afraid you miss the point.
> 1. To operate TBB with an attendant IPTables setup, including for reasons of
> potential leaks, admittedly more of a risk in Torification of other apps. DNS
> leaks are regarded as a widespread issue, quite apparent in looking into tor
> configurations, though I personally agree (?) that this smacks of bad
> programming, perhaps in OS design (though again, this tends to be regarded as
> more of an issue with diverse proxying). Isolating TBB in iptables has proven
> problematic, since it lacks a native UID, etc.

It's not that hard to reconfigure Tor browser to work with standalone
Tor. In Debian, debian-tor typically has uid 108, as I recall. Then you
can allow only debian-tor process to access eth0 or wlan0.

> 2. To operate Tor with the full range of transports: I have started looking
> at the possibility of operating debian-tor with the transports included in
> TBB, ie. pointing tor at the pluggable transports and libs in the TBB data
> and Tor folders, but would love some help with this. This would give the best
> of both.

That's an excellent idea.

> 3. Further isolating tor or TBB behind a user account, and ultimately a
> network namespace, which is touted as a light weight container option, but I
> have not seen documented for this purpose.

Yes, isolation by network namespace would be even better than iptables,
I think. But still less secure than isolation by VMs. Or using Qubes. Or
better, hardware isolation.

> Sent from [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com), Swiss-based encrypted email.

<SNIP>