In preparation for the first 3.3 RC, I've been running
the test project against several DBs recently: MS SQL,
different MySQL versions, Derby (JDBC Driver), and a
quick run at HypersonicSQL.

(Quick FYI aside:  Derby has problems with that I'm
working out)

Here's some thoughts that have come out of this process.

1) The test-project properties can have a lot of
different build properties, such as: beans/nobeans;
idBrokerMethod; managers/no manager; and the like.

It seems like we should have an agreed upon set of
test run properties that need to be used against a
database type to say it's truly passed the tests.
In other words, the test-project needs to be run
several times against a DB with each run having a
different set of properties, E.g. with Beans, with
Beans/Managers, with native/idBroker methods,
and the like.

There's a lot of combinations, so which ones make
sense?

2) Should there be semi-standardized reporting of
Test-project runs with new version RCs?  I.e., ask
folks to test it against their DB, and then send
in a report with OS, JVM, DB Version, JDBC Driver,
and results of each test run type?

3) Should there be a core of required DB's that have
to be tested and pass before a version is released?
E.g., MySQL, Derby ('cause we're part of the DB
project!), Postgres, Oracle, DB2, and MS SQL/Sybase
come to mind.  DB2 is the only one I haven't seen
mentioned here in a while.

4) Do we want to "publish" this info anywhere?  E.g.,
in the final version release notes have a list of
DB versions, JDBC versions that Torque was tested
against before release.

FWIW, if we can decide on the set of test run
criteria, I'll take a pass at doing an Ant script
to set up the conditions and call Maven to do the
tests against a DB in one step.  (Probably can do
this with a Maven uber project, but I can do it
faster in ant then figuring out the Maven property
inheritance quirks.)

Greg Monroe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (919)680-5050
C&IS Solutions Team Lead
Duke Corporate Education, Inc.
333 Liggett St.
Durham, NC 27701

Duke CE Privacy Statement
Please be advised that this e-mail and any files transmitted with it are
confidential communication or may otherwise be privileged or confidential and
are intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient you may not rely on the contents of this
email or any attachments, and we ask that you  please not read, copy or
retransmit this communication, but reply to the sender and destroy the email,
its contents, and all copies thereof immediately.  Any unauthorized
prohibited.