---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steve Toth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:55:56 -0700
Subject: Re: Putting schema into the select clause
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Since I really really like the whole process and idea of Torque I want
to extend this.

I've already started to modify the generator and have added a
schema="blah" attribute to the table element since it makes sence to
me that tables should have schema information embedded rather then at
the database level.  Since that way you can have a database of
multiple schemas all grouped together and do cross schema joins.

Ok, the big problem seems to me that depending on where in the schema
clause you need to use slightly different names for the table.

Sometimes you want to use
SCHEMA.TABLENAME
and sometimes just TABLENAME.

Or do all DBs let you do stuff like
SELECT SCHEMA.TABLENAME.COLUMN FROM SCHEMA.TABLENAME WHERE
 SCHEMA.TABLENAME.COLUMNB > 5
??

If this is the case then all that really needs to be done is change
the TABLE_NAME variable to be
SCHEMA.TABLENAME
rather then what it is now which is just
TABLENAME

At which point adding a schema seems almost esoteric, but I think that
it should be added for the sake of completeness and correctness.  As
Schema does play a role in the resulting SQL statments that should be
generated.

Cause the api seems to use Strings all over the place as keys,
especially when doing lookups of table related data, it simple uses
the TABLE_NAME as a key to get column information. So adding schema
information would mean changing all the critera object as well. I
believe.

Any ideas, thoughts, comments?

To developers of torque, whats the easiest way to start submitting patches?

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:03:42 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED]