Hi Tino,
(alternative solution, just got Richard's answer but decided to send this
anyway)

ok, again translated to the book example (obvious where clauses omitted)

I think the following statement is what you need (obvious where clauses
omitted, again translated to the book example (this is what I can test
easily)):

select book_id from book where author_id in (select max(author_id) from
book group by title);

which gives you the book with the maximal author_id for each distinct title

If that does not work within torque, do it in two calls (in one
transaction):
select max(author_id) from book group by title;
select book_id from book where author_id in(result of 1st query);

 Thomas

> Sperlich, Tino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb am 22.11.2004
12:41:07:

> Hi all,
>
> it may be a bit confusing, there are two
> sequences SEND_SEQUENZ and just SEQUENZ.
>
> Indeed, I need to have the max(SEND_SEQUENZ)
> for every distinct SEQUENZ I find, hence the
> IN clause.
> Here is a data example:
>
> VAVI_ID   AUFT~ID   SEQUENZ   SEND~SEQUENZ
> 88139      67537      2      1
> 91329      67537      2      2
> 91330      67537    1      1
>
> only this should be selected: max(send_sequenz) from every sequenz
>
> VAVI_ID   AUFT_ID   SEQUENZ   SEND_SEQUENZ
> 91329      67537      2      2
> 91330      67537      1      1
>
> any hints how to "carve" that into a criteria?
> Thanks again,
> Tino

VORAVISva",