FWIW, I've used Torque with Ant & Eclipse for years and have only
recently started using Maven (to test the code I've been
submitting recently ;-) ). So, even though Maven makes it easier,
it's not a requirement..  (All the Maven-ites groan because I'm
getting up on my Torque with Ant/Eclipse soapbox...8P )

Here's a link to a quick start on how to use Torque with Ant only
e-mail I sent out a while back in response to a similar question.

http://www.mail-archive.com/torque-user@db.apache.org/msg04509.html

To integrate with Eclipse, I just add Ant as a project builder
(make sure to specify "refresh" in the options).  Oh, and FWIW,
I generally have a "Shared Libs" project with all the required
Jars / Source Jars that my apps need (and matches the libs on our
production servers.  This project exports all of them and I add it
as a required project to all my sub projects.

As to the larger question of there being a torque build tool, e.g.
"java torque-generate...".  This might be nice if it simpified
what people needed to know to get started.  But I'm not sure if it's
REALLY that much different than doing ant -f torque-build.xml target.

IMHO, a large part of the setup problems comes from just getting all
the required Jars, etc, into your classpath. (Which Maven makes simple
:-) ).  A torque build tool would still have to have all these
installed as well (including ant).

On the other hand, if you packaged it like ant with all things needed
included, it might be nice to be able to have a command line "torque"
tool.  Feel free to put one together and submit it 8-).. maybe
build a GUI for setting options/creating properties files.. lol.