I am wondering if there is a way to do database
independent error trapping.

For example on a table/object that has a unique key I
just invoke the .save() method and and trap any
exception.  I look at the exception to see if it was a
duplicate value in the unique column that caused the
error and then explain this to the user in a friendly
message.

My problem is that I want the system to portable to
different database so I do not want to do something
like:

    eSql = (SQLException) t;
    if ( !eSql.getSQLState().equals("23505") )