Old version of torque so I'm not sure about this.  But my
best guess would be that the crit.add(...) / or(..) methods
are returning a copy of the original criteria object rather
than the original criteria.

So, in your complex statement, the first and() gets applied
to the original.  The subsequent or()s get applied to new
(different) criteria objects.

Try adding an assignment to it.  E.g.:

crit = crit.and(...).or(...)...

Duke CE Privacy Statement
Please be advised that this e-mail and any files transmitted with it are
confidential communication or may otherwise be privileged or confidential and
are intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient you may not rely on the contents of this
email or any attachments, and we ask that you  please not read, copy or
retransmit this communication, but reply to the sender and destroy the email,
its contents, and all copies thereof immediately.  Any unauthorized
prohibited.