Patrick is correct, primitives don't allow for NULL values
to be used.  FYI, there is also a defaultJavaType attribute
on the Database element that can be used to change all the
getter/setter methods to objects.

FWIW, primitive is the "default" because it's generally
more convenient for code writers to have native types
than creating native objects all the time.

That said, you're right in that how to deal with NULLs
is not well documented.  In addition, one of the ToDo's
for 4.0 is to improve on how these are handled (e.g. have
an isNull() test and a way to set a null value if using
primatives.

DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.