It doesn't change the whole JVM, it's a flag for the Oracle JDBC driver. I was a little leery of that also, but enough Google research seems to show that it only applies to the date/timestamp handling, though admittedly I did not find a site that definitely stated that.

Raul Acevedo
http://www.cantara.com