Some good news!

I was able put together a simple prototype of an overlay shell
extension written with MingW g++ compiler. The prototype is based on
some sample code I found on the web, plus some utility functions I
adapted from TortoiseCVS to handle the wide-char strings. Right now
it's just a simple overlay extension that talks to an RPC server, via
Windows named pipe, to retrieve the file status.

One immediate benefit of this new overlay extension is that it no
longer hangs the file dialog of Wing IDE. Also, with the shell
extension now written in C++, we shall no longer be depending on the
somewhat limited shell extension support in Pythonwin. However, the
real performance of the overlay icons extension will still be
depending on the performance of Hg in retrieving the file status,
unless we are able to find the workaround on this.

Unfortunately the shell extension code in TortoiseCVS is way too
complicated for me to port to TortoiseHg, so I will have to start
pretty much from scratch. Though there are some utility supports in
TortoiseCVS that should benefit TortoiseHg.

I will post to the lists when I have more update.