On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 5:14 AM, Sune Foldager <sune.folda...@me.com> wrote:
> Hi Steve
>
> Nice progress on the browse command. I have some comments, suggestions
> and ideas for guiding this in the direction I would like to see it
> (which isn't necessarily the same as you or others). Don't take them too
> seriously; I know it's prototype development :)
>
> 1. I'm able to browse freely outside the repo. Is that on purpose? Of
> course see point 2 below.

I wanted the browser to have that capability.  It's conceivable we
could use this thing as a load/save dialog in the future.

> 2. On the long term, I'd still like this integrated in the history
> viewer, but not just as a working dir browser. Rather as a browser of
> the manifest at a given revision, a special case of which would be the
> 'next commit' revision, i.e. working copy. Just so you keep it in mind
> for your design, e.g. make the source of directory data abstract and not
> hard-coded to filesystem.

When it operates inside a repository, it gets all of it's state info
from repo.status(), which meets your needs, I believe.  With the side
effect that it's impossible to browse into .hg/
My intention was to not provide '..' from the repository root if the
browser was given specific revision(s).

> 3. When changing directory, focus should be restored to the listview, at
> the top element for instance. The current behavior where I need to press
> an arrow key, makes bunny cry.

I hadn't even begun to think about such things yet.  Sounds about right though.

> 4. The icons are quite possibly the ugliest I have ever seen :-p.

Without a doubt.  I pasted them from a PyGtk sample.

> 5. On the long term, some more 'midnight commander' ish information will
> probably be nice, e.g. file size. Also, obviously file actions like view
> file, diff etc., but this should be pretty much like in the commit and
> history dialogs.

Yep.  Hooking up the menus was next on my list.

> 6. Maybe we should have some more design discussions for the GUI in
> general? I mostly mean overall structure; what goes where and how are
> things connected :-). It's not that I think we necessarily disagree
> among developers, but just to get some more eyes on things :-). Of
> course this email can be the start of such a thread.

That would be useful.  We have not had a lot of discussions on how to
knit together all these pieces.  They have grown quite organically.
Perhaps it belongs on thg-discuss?

--
Steve Borho