I finally got a new mercurial msi installer [1] working on a clean Windows XP
x86 SP3
(running in a VirtualBox VM) by installing

    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

as available for download at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en

If this package is not installed, you will see the following when
trying to run hg:

C:\Program Files\Mercurial>hg version
The system cannot execute the specified program.

Dependency walker [2] will report:

'''
Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information in "c:\program
files\mercurial\HG.EXE"
contains errors. This application has failed to start because the application
configuration
is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).
'''

("Reinstalling the application" won't help here).

Steve and (to some extent) I are currently looking into how to best fix this in
thg-winbuild.

The merge modules contained in the current msi builds produced by thg-winbuild
apparently don't work for Windows XP.

On clean Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and x86 the msi install is fine.

[1] http://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/thg-winbuild, revision 0cdda5ce2ad5
[2] C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\Tools\Bin\Depends.Exe